Inner Armour Senior Leadership Team
BA (Hons), PGCE, PCC, MSc, FcollT.
Areas of Responsibility:
– Police Training (National & International)
– Intelligence Services Training (Private & State)
– Military Training – Marines, Navy, Army & RAF.
– Prisons & Youth Offender Institute Training
We put Psychology into policing after the damage has been done.. why not before?
Al is committed to making that happen.
Al holds three degrees from UK Universities and is dedicated to enabling the use of Psychology for good for all in front-line services. Al completes monthly shifts with the London MET Police Force and Essex Police Force in an active researcher role. Embarking on his Ph.D Psychology research into the use of post traumatic growth & psychological strengths in the UK Police.
Al has 12 years teaching experience in 4 state secondary schools in areas of high deprivation & high crime in the UK. First on the scene at a stabbing of a 15 year old on his second day as an newly Qualified Teacher in Nechells (Birmingham), Al has no issue jumping into danger to help someone.
Al also has two years experience in Universities lecturing at postgraduate level in the UK and one year internationally. He is also an ICF (International Coaching Federation) professionally certified coach. He is down to earth, kind, private and centred. It has been his total passion to take positive psychology and post traumatic growth to those on the front-line for over ten years.
“Today has been brilliant, This is the first time I’ve ever seen anything like this, clearly a preventative approach. A real breath of fresh air. Fantastic. Al knows exactly what he is talking about and walks the talk.”
Cpt Richard Nutt 1AGRM 539 ASSAULT SQUADRON/ROYAL MARINES
“I have heard Al from Inner Armour talk on two separate occasions and each time it strikes a chord with me. As a Police Officer of more than 20 years the concept learning to use psychology to develop a much needed resilience in ourselves and in support of colleagues is one of the most important opportunities for cultural change I have seen. I have lost officers in my command to suicide and serious illness on too many occasions, the concept of Inner Armour at its purest is saving lives and looking out for each other. That’s the reason we joined the job isn’t it?”
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy/ MET POLICE – UK
“I’ve never met someone with so much passion for Psychology before. Al has got the balance right between coming out with us on shift regularly and getting stuck in, going out with Essex, listening to officers, seeing what we deal with & teaching us how to apply quarantine.
I watched this past year as Inner Armour tested, taught & strategically implemented Quarantine. For Al to be working nationally, liaising with Chief Superintendents, Assistant Commissioners, The Police Federation & different forces has impressed me.
This method reduces stress, anxiety & depression & is one of the most important developments in policing I’ve experienced. The resilience I’ve seen develop in my officers since doing this training is incredible. We will look back in years to come and be shocked we didn’t utilise this sooner.”
Sergeant Daryl Jones/12GD/ MET POLICE – UK
Director of Strategy & Education
BSc (Hons), PGCE, NPQH.
Areas of responsibility –
– Education Training, (Primary, Secondary, FE)
– Education Training (State & Independent)
– University Education Training
– Higher Education Training.
James leads the strategic arm of Inner Armour and is an experienced educational leader having worked in educational leadership for over a decade.
Most recently James was Headteacher and executive Headteacher within the Southwest, working in schools facing significant challenges educationally and financially.
His School featured in BBC 2 documentary ‘School’. James was described as having acted with principles and dignity in exceptionally challenging circumstances. We would also describe him as a hero. To stand up on national television and allow the country to see the true nature of funding cuts, OFSTED inspections and the brutality of the education system first hand blew us away. We called him immediately.
James also runs his own company; InspirEDucate.
James in the Press:
– Headteachers Round Table: http://htrt-thinktank.co.uk/speakers/james-pope/
– The Times Educational Supplement: https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-was-brutal-says-head-who-resigned-tvs-school
– The Times Educational Supplement: https://www.tes.com/news/meet-head-failed-ofsted-primetime-tv
– The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/nov/27/bbc-headteacher-resigned-tv-james-pope-school
Dr Vikki Barnes
Head of Psychology
BSc, MSc, DClinPsy, HCPC Registered
Areas of Responsibility:
– Health Training Lead
– Corporate Training
– Education Training
– Police Training
– Internal Inner Armour Clinical Employee Psychological & Coaching Supervision.
Dr Vikki Barnes oversees all things Psychology within Inner Armour – which is alot. She advises on academic quality in the Inner Armour content, writes, publishes, facilitates and provides clinical internal psychological support for all Inner Armour as we work on the front line. Vikki’s work with Virgin Care as a national lead in Positive Psychology speaks for itself.
Vikki in the Press:https://www.virgin.com/person/vikki-barnes
Director of Research & Head of Future
BSc (Hons), PGCE.
Areas of Responsibility:
– Research Qualitative, Quantitative, longitudinal & organisational.
– Minetech Research Lead
– Quantum Computing, Machine Learning & AI lead
– Military Training Lead
– Health/NHS Training.
Aaron is a progressive educationalist, Mathematician, Physics specialist and Senior leader in Education. Aaron advises on all data, quantitative research and strategic projects that Inner Armour is involved in.
Hailing from the USA and a Senior School leader with a passion for teaching and learning in all forms. Aaron’s professional edge, clarity and challenging nature ensures all Inner Armour Data is sound and robust.
Aaron has taught maths to many 6th form students over the years who have gone on to study at Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge & many other Universities internationally. His experience in physics and mathematics cuts through the noise and we trust him totally with all our data.
Marcus Van Hagen
Business Development Director
Dip M MBA
Areas of Responsibility:
– Business Development across Military, Policing, Intelligence, Education, Health & Corporate
– New Markets
– Tenders and Contracts
Dr Steve Watts
Senior Policing Advisor
D.Crim.J., MSc, Dip.Crim (Cantab)
Areas of Responsibility:
– Advising National & International Police & Intelligence Training & content.
Steve advises us on all policing issues including training, press, systematic implementation and the oversees Inner Armour’s impact in the UK, New Zealand, Australia and the UAE
Now based in Sydney Australia Steve has a total of over 40 years operational and strategic policing and emergency response experience, in particular he served in UK Policing at all levels to Chief Officer for 32 years.
He hold a Masters Degree in Investigative Psychology, Post Graduate Diploma in Criminology and a Doctorate in Criminal Justice.
Do find examples of his professional credentials and roles are as below:
- 32 years operational and strategic police service, with extensive experience at all levels, including Head of Criminal Investigation and Assistant Chief Constable (Specialist Operations).
- Commander of the UK War Crimes Investigation team in Kosovo in 2000.
- Vice Chair of UK Homicide & Major Crime Investigation Steering Group
- South East England Regional Lead for Counter Terrorism.
- National Lead for Investigative Interviewing.
- National Lead for Maritime Policing & Operations.
- Chief Strategic Policing Advisor to Abu Dhabi Police in the UAE
- EU Special Counsellor and as such was engaged in reviewing and developing the delivery of Strategic Planning and Performance Management regimes to the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Serbia.
- Global policing, Counter Terrorism, Security and management consultant.
Inner Armour Therapeutic Team
We are extremely proud to appoint the following professionals to our team offering safe, specialist therapeutic work to our clients across all sectors, please get in touch to book.
Rebekah is a Psychodynamic Psychotherapist, in addition to being an EMDR Practitioner and qualified Mindfulness Meditation Instructor. Her training, qualifications and experience are as follows:
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET) (RQF) – Big Teach
- MSc Psychotherapy – University of Brighton (dissertation year)
- EMDR Training Levels 1, 2 and 3 – EMDR Centre, London
- Diploma in Supervision Studies – OCN
- PGCert Systemic Approaches with Individuals, Couples, Families – Tavistock Clinic, London
- PGDip Psychodynamic Psychotherapeutic Counselling – University of Brighton
- Advanced Mindfulness, Meditation and Relaxation Instructor (PGDip) – SMART Foundations
- Degree modules in: Child Development and Psychological methods and research
- Level 3 CPCAB Counselling Skills Award
- Level 2 Counselling Award, in conjunction with Cruse Bereavement Care
Registered as Police Care Champion, UK
Registered with UPCA, part of UKCP
Registered with BACP, working towards accreditation
Registered and accredited with NCS, working towards senior professional accreditation
The National Counselling Service: Member Status Accredited Registrant Member No NCS17-05306
Rebekah has over 26 years of professional experience in working with people experiencing mental health difficulties within the NHS, supporting people from a wide variety of contexts and with a mix of different issues. Since retraining as a therapist, Rebekah has particularly specialised in working with emergency personnel, as well as those who have experienced a range of life traumas and mental health challenges. Rebekah offers EMDR therapy, which can be used to reprocess trauma, phobic reaction and a variety of mental health issues with very good effect.
Rebekah has experience of working with students to university level and offers reduced fee sessions for trainee counsellors. Rebekah teaches on a Level 2 Counselling Skills course for an organisation in West Sussex, and additionally offers training around well-being and mental health for a variety of organisations and businesses throughout the UK
Inner Armour Associates
The following people are our associates. They are unpaid and take part in our research projects, co-facilitation & international police & military projects.
CPL Mark Bowl
Mark has been a Royal Marine for 14 years and is currently based at Her Majesty’s Naval Base – Devonport.
Mark is completing his undergraduate degree and is due to start his MSc in Psychology next year. Passionate about mental health in the armed forces, Mark is dignified, compassionate, thoughtful, strategic and a great teacher.
Having seen active duty and been deployed to some of the darkest situations on the globe Mark remains an optimist, loyal and is known to his colleagues as “SOUP”.
Mark will be working with us across our research and work with the Royal Marines, Army, Navy & Royal Air Force.
BA (HONS), MA, MED, PGCE, NPQH
Alex Atherton is an experienced secondary headteacher and senior leader; including three headships in large and diverse inner London schools over a twelve year period including a short stint in alternative provision. He achieved his first headship after only ten years in the profession.
Born in Yorkshire his career started in Manchester before moving to the capital. He has three degrees and has an academic background in social science. He is committed to making a difference in whatever field he finds himself and passionate about all he does.
He is now working across a range of primary and secondary schools and is the Education Advisor to the Parliamentary Commission into serious youth violence.